Friday, April 20, 2018

Blog Year One: Why am I doing this?

A few questions can be asked here so let's look at them.

Why am I doing this?
Why am I bothering with an old game?
Why would anyone care?
Why the Arrowverse?


First question, of why I am doing this?
I really enjoy superhero TV shows and movies, to the point I Watch them all, or as much of them as I can. I love the superhero genre and I think its amazing to see all the superheroes that have made it on the tv and silver screen. Naturally I can't be a superhero, but I can certain role play one in a game with dice, paper and my imagination! Enter MEGS DC Heroes! Please keep in mind I haven't touched this game in many years, so I am re-learning it page by page.

Second Question, bother with an old game?
Why am I bothered with an old game, that probably not a lot of people care about, is out of print, and there is plenty of new games being produced and supported (is the full question here).
Yep the game certainly is out of print and not that easy to buy the books anymore with out spending a pretty penny. I don't care, I have the materials in physical form and besides, you can find the PDFs of this "dead game" anywhere on the net if you look for it. Also, while this game isn't being supported by Mayfair anymore, its being supported online to this day by its fans. There is the Yahoo! Groups (yeah remember those?) that is still active to this day with people going back and forth about it. There is an active Facebook group, along with an active Google+ group that is generating chatter almost everyday as well. There is a semi-active podcast that will talk about the game as well. So there's all that and more I am sure. Tons of resources if you want them, you just have to look instead of just waive your hand and dismiss the game.
I do know there is plenty of new superhero games out there that are being printed and supported by various companies and I don't care. I like what I like, and there was two superhero games I really enjoyed as a kid, it was Marvel FASERIP by TSR and DC Superheroes by Mayfair.

Third question, would anyone care?
Maybe? Probably? Who cares? I do this for me and the games I want to run. If someone stumbles onto the page and thinks it cool, great!

Why the Arrowverse?
Because I love the TV shows that theCW has produced, I like how they joined them together into one universe. I also like that its rooted into street level like style of play, with a little flux of powers that seems easily handled by the rules. Its simple enough that players can get into the game as well as the Game Master, and can grow with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment